Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wonder-lust


From National Geographic online

I wish I had wheels. Or wings. Or a private jet. Imagine how much of the world I would be able to cover.

My wanderlust is supposed to be a gift of my sun sign. But I have rarely been able to satisfy it. Reading about exotic destinations revs up the engine, but there seem to be so many things putting the proverbial spoke in my wheel. It was fun in our childhood when my father and mother would plan vacations and visits. There was nothing for my brother and I to worry our little heads about - we could traipse around with not a care in the world. Sigh. Those were the days. More often than not, growing up brings with it the worldly considerations of time and money. And decision-making. Where should you go? When can it be planned? How much of a hole in the pocket is it going to be? The sad thing is, we can forget how to have fun because we try so hard to have fun.

Blame the New York Times for making me feel like this. This is what I read, making me yearn to be in many places at once. Going through some of them made me realise this - although I could do with a pampering, Hilton-style stay at a pop-exotic destination, I would much rather be backpacking across lesser-known sisters of tourist hot-spots. Places that are not in the limelight - yet, and hence just happy being themselves. Towns just waking up to their own charm, accidental discoveries, secret hideaways known only to a few. They would make for the perfect grub for my travel-hungry soul.

What feeds my wanderlust is watching and reading seasoned travellers like Michael Palin, in lands far away, exciting and awe-inspiring people and cultures, and cuisine to tantalise any taste buds (unless they are being too adventurous and visiting communities that eat bulls and rats and the like).

For now, I satisfy myself with suggestions from the New York Times, Conde Nast Traveller and the like. I invite you to do the same. Think about how many gorgeous places you still haven't heard of and how much you're missing if you think tourism is about the Londons, New Yorks, Parises and Milans of the world. For all you know, the perfect spot could be just a two hour drive away!

3 comments:

Tee said...

Nice one! the perfect place could be just 30 mins away too!
How I miss those days of carefree travel! PAcking, food, booking...all taken care of by our parents. Nowadays, I just don't want to go anywhere because of the mere thought of the huge laundry pile later :) Not a good attitude, I know, but...just my current state of mind.

Emm said...

you know, i am kind of diappointed that india doesnt figure in that list. that way i would have visited at least one of those must-see places...

Bijoy said...

Dear Sir/Madam

We are a group of youngsters from cochin who are currently doing a website on kerala. which we plan to make the most informative resource available. our website is http://enchantingkerala.org .

you could find more about us and our project here: http://enchantingkerala.org/about-us.php

we came across your website:http://clumsysouls.blogspot.com/

We found your website interesting and noted that the content in your webpage and ours could complement each other. So we kindly request you to have a look at our website and provide a link to it if you think its worth linking to. Ofcourse we'll reciprocate by adding a link to your webpage from ours.

as you can see ours is a collaborative venture wherein many people from different walks of life participate. we also welcome you to be a part of our site, you could help the project by writing articles, providing photos and videos, subscribing to our content and also by recommending it to your friends and relatives.

pls free to contact me for any further clarification needed or even if its just to say hi.


warm regards


For Enchanting Kerala

Bibbi Cletus


Format to be used for linking to Enchanting Kerala.org

Kerala's Finest Portal : Kerala Information